My blogging tribe, Laura Spoonie and Johnzelle, tagged me to participate in creating a “Pick me up playlist” for World Mental Health Day. Laura created the tag, a brilliant way to spread positivity and light. If I could only use three words to describe each of these individuals I would say:
Laura: warrior, authentic, and creative
Johnzelle: compassionate, funny, and ambitious
Check out their blogs and their individual playlists, I am definitely adding some new jams to my mix!
- Link back to ‘Pick Me Up Playlist’ creator – Laura Spoonie
- Tag the blogger who nominated you
- Mention how music helps your Mental Health
- List 10 songs that you would consider to be a part of your ‘Pick Me Up Playlist’ (optional: mention a little bit why each song is on your list)
- Tag 10 other bloggers to join in with the ‘Pick Me Up Playlist’ Challenge
Music and Mental Health
I cannot go a day without listening to music; a good song that I feel in my soul can give me chills and take me to another place. I spent a lot of time quietly by myself, not knowing how to express the way I feel and being angry because of it. Music provided an outlet and a voice. In my childhood bedroom, I have “I’m sorry I can’t be perfect” written on my wall in sharpie, from Simple Plan’s “Perfect”. I was anxious and sad, listening to songs like “Numb” (Linkin Park), “I’m Not Okay” (My Chemical Romance), and “Imaginary” (Evanescence), made me feel less alone and seen. Nowadays, music makes me dance, smile, and be productive. A solid jam can center me and help me tune out my thoughts. In traffic, my car tends to turn into a Broadway stage as musicals have been my go-to travel companion. Music is life and it can have a profound effect on all of us.
Here is my playlist :
- Here comes a thought– Estelle and AJ Michalka
This is from Steven Universe. This song is about taking a moment to collect your thoughts and reminding yourself that it will be okay. When I remember, I like to listen to it in the morning to brace myself for the day.
- My shot– Lin Manuel Miranda
HAMILTON! From the beat to the lyrics, this Hamilton classic never fails to hype me up. I have also mastered the quick rapping sections so it makes me feel pretty proud of myself.
- There’s a good reason these tables are numbered honey, you just haven’t thought of it yet– Panic! At the Disco
This is one of my favorite Panic songs.
- I won’t say I’m in love– Susan Egan, et al.
Hercules👏🏽 is 👏🏽an 👏🏽underrated👏🏽 Disney 👏🏽movie!
- Anything for you– Ludo
I love Ludo as a band! Fun fact, this is “our song”.
- P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)– Michael Jackson
🎶Don’t you know now is the perfect time … 🎶 Such a good, upbeat song!
- Walk away– Kelly Clarkson
I cannot help but dance to this song, even in the grocery store. So much sass and attitude, Kelly!
- Dancing through life– Idina Menzel, et al.
Have I mentioned I like musicals? This is my favorite track from Wicked.
- Me He Enamorado De Ti– Arcangel
This is a shout-out to my Latin roots and is a good head bopping, driving song.
- Radio– Donna Summer
At the tail-end of the disco era, this track starts off sounding somber then burst into a full-blown dance number. I am an old head, so I had to include a real throwback.
- Sophia Ismaa
- The Good The Human
- Audrey Walker
- Lady Notebook
- Fiona Jackson
No pressure, all fun. I hope the day moves and grooves you!
Categories: Introvert Life