In an effort to be as safe as possible during this pandemic, many of us went into lockdown or self-quarantine. We refrained from seeing our loved ones, traveling, and connecting with others to mitigate putting anyone’s health in jeopardy. We had to be creative and remind ourselves that there are a variety of ways to feel loved and present.
Now, with vaccine rollouts and folks assessing their comfort levels, more and more people are reconnecting with their loved ones in person. It can be overwhelming. It may feel like you forgot how to socialize or do not know what to say. Perhaps, you or your family members and friends are accustomed to commenting on one’s physical appearance or the latest happenings in their life, both things that may have drastically changed and/or are uncomfortable to discuss. There may be a lot we want to say to each other while trying to navigate how we all may have changed. But you know what’s free, easy, and fun? Compliments!
Praise each other! Praise each other for surviving. Praise each other for growth. Praise each other for still being in each other’s lives. It’s a beautiful, simple act that can fill someone with so much goodness. You don’t even have to be in the same space for long periods of time to say something kind. I thought it would be helpful to start a list of compliments we can give each other after not being together in person for so long.
- I missed you!
- I missed your laugh.
- I missed your energy.
- I missed being around you.
- I missed being able to sit close to you.
- I missed occupying the same space together.
- I feel so good near you.
- I feel energized by your company.
- I feel happy when I am with you.
- I feel seen and understood by you.
- I feel so comfortable around you.
- I love you.
- I love your energy.
- I love hearing you laugh.
- I love listening to you talk.
- I love how you listen to me.
- I love being in your presence.
- I love spending time with you.
- I appreciate you.
- I appreciate your time and effort.
- You’re wonderful.
- You’re so witty.
- You’re a joy to be around.
- Your sense of humor is unmatched.
- Your cooking is delicious.
- Your presence is so warm and welcoming.
- You give the best hugs.
- Thank you for respecting my comfort level.
- Thank you for all the video chats!
- Thank you for being there for me.
- Thank you for making me feel loved even though we couldn’t be physically close.
These are some of the compliments I love to give and receive. I’d love to hear about some of your favorites to inspire each other.
Categories: Encouragement Corner